Industry Updates for December 2020
• PaulB Hardware is opening its third store in Mechanicsburg, Pa., in 2021.
• True Value of Cowpens has opened in Cowpens, S.C.
True Value of Cowpens»
• Devin Severns opened Ace Hardware of Mentone in Mentone, Ind.
• E.M. Heath’s Ace Hardware has opened its second store in Laconia, N.H.
• Hatchet Hardware is opening its fifth store in Niskayuna, N.Y.
• Sullivan Ace Hardware opened in Mendota, Ill.
• Pleasant River Lumber has acquired Ware-Butler Building Supplies, with three locations in Maine.
• Nation’s Best has acquired Connolly’s Do it Best Hardware & Rental, with five locations based in Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Hagan Ace Hardware has opened its ninth store in Yulee, Fla., which also includes the third location of Hagan Coastal Outfitters.
Hagan Ace Hardware»
• Leflore Ace Hardware in Greenwood, Miss., is now owned by Bill and Tina Thornburg, along with Davis and Lisa Moore.
• Cheryl and Brent Hurd have acquired Anderson Marine & Hardware in Gouldsboro, Maine.
• Donnie and Danelle Schwertner have opened The Depot in Miles, Texas.
• Century Club retailer Marcus Lumber is opening its second store in Storm Lake, Iowa.
• BMC Stock Holdings is acquiring Century Club retailer TW Perry, which operates six lumberyards serving the northern Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. markets.
• US LBM has acquired Century Club retailer Ridgefield Supply Company of Ridgefield, Conn.
• Fulcrum Building Group has acquired Ford Lumber & Millwork Company, with two pro lumberyards and a millwork operation in Alabama.
• Westlake Ace Hardware has acquired four additional Q.P. Ace Hardware stores in Lincoln, Neb.
• Lance Sizemore is opening a new Ace Hardware in New Richmond, Ohio.
• Harland Ace Hardware has relocated to a former Shopko building in Perry, Iowa.
• Bering’s Hardware in Houston is celebrating its 80th anniversary.
• Gus Bock’s Ace Hardware, with four stores in IN and IL, is marking its 85th anniversary.
• M. Maselli & Sons in Petaluma, Calif., is marking its 60th anniversary.
• Sebastopol Ace Hardware in Sebastopol, Calif., is celebrating its 55th anniversary.
• Carlson True Value Hardware in Wheaton, Ill., is marking its 105th anniversary.
• Tom Edwards, owner of Auer Ace Hardware in Coshocton, Ohio, was named the 2020 Coshoctonian by the Chamber of Commerce.
• Century Club retailer Bliffert Lumber & Hardware and its Pink Truck donated $8,898.40 to Susan G. Komen Wisconsin to aid breast cancer research.
• In addition to serving as CEO of Do it Best member Surangel & Sons Co., Surangel Whipps Jr., was recently elected president of the island nation of Palau.
• K&K True Value in Annapolis, Md., has awarded $30,000 to 15 Annapolis-area schools.
• Century Club retailer Morris Hardware in McConnelsville, Ohio, which marked its 175th anniversary in November, was presented an award for “outstanding contributions toward the protection and enhancement of local history and culture” by the Southeast Ohio History Center.
Tom Schanken is the sixth-generation owner of Morris Hardware.»
• DeRonne True Value Hardware in Eastpointe and St. Clair Shores, Mich., is marking its 80th anniversary.
• K&K Hardware in Bettendorf, Iowa, is celebrating its 80th anniversary.
• STIHL is proud to sponsor the 56th anniversary of the U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree program.
Bart Raser of Carr Hardware (right) presents a check to the Berkshire Humane Society.»
• Carr Hardware donated $5,735.35 to the Berkshire Humane Society.
• Although Brownsboro Hardware & Paint in Louisville, Ky., was unable to hold its annual Eggfest this year, Owners Jim and Marilyn Lehrer donated $20,000 on top of $6,750 raised online, with $27,500 in donations split among two Kentucky charities.
Jim Lehrer presents a check to Heather Stewart of Kentucky Harvest»
People on the Move:
• Mayhew Steel Products has named Beth Lawless national account manager.
• Casey McGrath has been named branch director at Pacific STIHL.
• House-Hasson Hardware has hired Paul Thorman as warehouse manager.
• PPG has appointed Marvin Mendoza as global head of diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Channellock has promoted Marc Johnston to vice president of operations and Laura King to director of human resources.
• Do it Best Corp. has promoted Alison Farrington to national retail performance manager.
• Westlake Ace Hardware promoted Tony Jones to vice president of finance and controller, replacing the retiring Pam Samulcek.
• Emery Jensen Distribution has promoted Jason Hanegan to senior vice president of national sales.
Wholesalers in the News:
• Distribution America and PRO Group held their first virtual Executive Planning Conference November 16-19. Attendees held 1,818 private, pre-scheduled appointments using Zoom. Distribution America Vendors of the Year included: B&K Products, Stanley Black & Decker, WM Barr, West Chester Gear, Gardner-Gibson, Southwire, Spectrum HHI National Hardware/Kwikset and Century Drill & Tool. PRO Group Key Suppliers of the Year included: Oatey SCS, Great Neck Saw, WM Barr, Ames Cos., Honeywell, World & Main, Spectrum HHI National Hardware/Kwikset and DAP Products.
• Momentive Performance Materials has sold its consumer sealants business to Henkel Corp.
• Channellock Inc. is continuing its commitment to American manufacturing and jobs with the grand opening of its 34,000-square-foot plant expansion in Meadville, Pa. The project allows Channellock to address its increasing product demand by providing additional production capacity, distribution space and new machinery. “This new space enhances our ability to continue to focus on the changing needs of our customers who are increasingly demanding American-made CHANNELLOCK® tools,” said President and COO Jon DeArment.
• The 2021 Cologne International Hardware Fair in Germany has been canceled. The next edition will now take place March 6-9, 2022.
• Ken Bartlett, founder and owner of Stoneway Hardware in Wallingford, Wash., passed away November 20 at the age of 66. He is survived by his wife Marcia, children Joel, Jenna and Kellie, mother Margaret, twin brother Keith and two grandchildren. Ken started his career in the wholesale hardware business before starting Stoneway Hardware in 1987.
• Bob Winters, retired owner of Winters True Value in Martins Ferry, Ohio, passed away November 19 at the age of 84. He is survived by children Brenda, Mark, Vicki and Tracy, brother Nelson, seven grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
For the Full Story:
• Ace Hardware Corp. reported record third quarter revenues of $2.0 billion, an increase of 30.7 percent from last year. U.S. same-store-sales were up 28.9 percent. Click here for more.
• Duracell introduced its latest innovation in child safety, a bitter coating on its lithium coin batteries—sizes 2032, 2025, and 2016. This breakthrough innovation in the battery category is designed to help deter accidental ingestions. Click here for more.
• House-Hasson Hardware will conduct a virtual dealer market sales event January 27-29. Click here for more.
• Do it Best Corp. announced plans to continue its successful virtual market format for the co-op’s Spring 2021 event. This market will be available exclusively online from March 7–19. Click here for more.
• Orgill Inc. announced plans to forgo its in-person 2021 Spring Dealer Market and proceed with a more dynamic and flexible approach to its physical shows, conferences and buying events. Click here for more.
• ECi Software Solutions announced that Leonard Green & Partners will acquire a majority stake in the company from funds advised by Apax Partners and The Carlyle Group. Click here for more.