• Interstate + Lakeland Lumber has opened a new rebranded store in Westport, Conn., that it had acquired from Torno Lumber & Hardware.
• Richards Building Supply has acquired two stores from GMA Supply in Concord and Holly Springs, N.C.
• Michael and Michelle Cumberland have opened M&M’s Hardware in their Coffee Time shop in Omemee, Ontario.
• Barb Mathistad Warner and Mark Warner purchased Butterfield Hardware in Butterfield, Minn.
• Westlake Ace has opened a new store in a former Orchard Supply Hardware in La Crescenta, Calif.
• BMC Stock Holdings has acquired DeFord Lumber in Dallas-Ft. Worth market.
• Carr Hardware opened its eighth store in Lenox, Mass.
• Kenny Queen Hardware has opened its third store in Huntington, W.Va.
• Bill Cotton has opened his ninth Cotton’s Ace Hardware in Granite City, Ill.
• Aldo Aichfakir has opened Dawson’s Hardware in Topsfield, Mass.
• Dave Lewis is the new owner of Route 66 True Value Hardware in Baxter Springs, Kan.
• Joel Jacobson has purchased Thompson’s True Value in Eau Claire, Wis., and is rebranding as Jacobson’s Ace Hardware.
• Harps Food Stores is opening its first standalone Ace Hardware in Charleston, Ark.
• Ryan and Lisa Bubb have opened Riverside True Value Hardware in Middletown, Pa.
• Bell’s Ace Hardware & Outdoor Power Equipment has opened in Nashville, N.C.
• Mike and Gina Wilmes are opening their second Wilmes Do it Best Hardware in a former Shopko store in Sioux City, Neb.
• Steve White of White’s Ace Hardware in Carmel, Ind., has acquired Fishers Do it center in Fishers, Ind.
• Billy Atchison and Tim Gibson have opened Ace Hardware of Sun City Center in Wimauma, Fla.
• r.k. Miles is acquiring four stores in Vermont from Century Club retailer Allen Lumber.
• Pleasants Hardware has opened a new store in Mechanicsville, Va.
• Outdoor Supply Hardware has opened its fourth store in a former Orchard Supply Hardware location in Berkeley, Calif.
• Gerald and Jahron Strother are opening True Value Farm & Hardware in Van Alstyne, Texas.
• Elder’s Ace Hardware has opened with Elder’s Mercantile and Elder’s Garden in Knoxville, Tenn.
• Irvin’s Hardware & Auto in Homer, Mich., is celebrating its 45th anniversary this year.
• Ace Hardware Corp. ranks number 6 on Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500® list.
• China International Hardware Show, set for August 7-9 in Shanghai, China, is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.
On the Move:
• Hal Lawton is the new president and CEO of Tractor Supply Company, replacing the retiring Greg Sandfort.
• True Value Company has hired Chris Kempa to the new position of chief commercial officer.
• Rocky’s Ace Hardware has hired Joseph Harrington as B2B sales manager.
• Lowe’s Cos. has hired Marisa Thalberg as executive vice president, chief brand and marketing officer and named Tony Hurst president of Lowe’s Canada.
• Do it Best Corp. has promoted Scott Kinkella to regional sales manager.
• Hayward Lumber has acquired the assets of Buena Tool Company in Santa Barbara, Calif.
• Protective Industrial Products Inc. has acquired Boss Manufacturing’s gloves and safety business.
• World and Main, Bulldog and Shur-Line are changing their name to H2 Brands Group.
• Marcus Moran Jr., former CEO of Aubuchon Hardware, died December 1 at the age of 76. He started in 1970 at the business founded by his grandfather in 1908, serving as personnel manager, treasurer, and president and CEO, retiring as vice chairman of acquisitions in 2017. He is survived by his wife Tonia, sons Marcus III and Justin, daughter Courtney and six grandchildren.
• Kristin Bernhart, co-owner of Freeport True Value Hardware in Freeport, Maine, passed away December 1 at the age of 62. She is survived by husband Woody and son John.
• Ned Wolf passed away December 13 at the age of 88. He retired in 1995 from Do it Best Corp. after 47 years as vice president of purchasing. Ned served nine years in the Indiana National Guard in the 1950s. He met his wife Katherine at Do it Best and they married in 1952. He is survived by sons Ned and Scott and four grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife Katherine; siblings Don Wolf, George Wolf and Maxine VanHorn; and granddaughter Alexa Jo Wolf.
For the Full Story:
• Part-finder kiosk being tested at Home Depot. Click here
• Google acquiring Pointy. Click here
• Cologne International Hardware Fair set for March 1-4. Click here